Astra could write logs into next destinations:
- console — if Astra launched in foreground mode, without –daemon option
- file — option –log /var/log/astra.log, where /var/log/astra.log is a full path to the log file
- syslog — option –syslog astra, where astra is a process name
- web interface
Log messages has four types:
Description of errors and ways to solve them:
Typical log message:
fe has lock. status:SCVYL signal:60% snr:80% ber:0 unc:0
Status of the DVB adapter is described by several values
- status — list of flags describing the tuner state. State if signal locked is SCVYL:
- SIGNAL — found something above the noise level
- CARRIER — found a DVB signal
- VITERBI — FEC (forward error correction) is stable
- SYNC — found sync data
- LOCK — signal locked
- signal — signal level
- snr — signal-to-noise ratio
- ber — bit error rate. important for determining the reception quality
- unc — uncorrected blocks. also as an ber, shows reception quality
Too many open files
Error occurs if number of active connections or opened files greater than the operating system limit. To check current limit use next command:
grep "open files" /proc/PID/limits
PID — is an unique process identifier, to get it launch:
ps ax | grep astra
To increase system limit, launch ulimit -n 65536 before Astra. The command can be launched in the autorun script init.d.
PAT: stream with id * is not found
No channel with the specified number (pnr) was found in the stream. To check available channels, you must scan the source.
Device or resource busy
The error occurs when trying to use DVB adapter occupied by another process. You can check the list of adapters and their status by using the command:
Examples of command output:
Nov 10 09:00:00: INFO: adapter = 3, device = 0 Nov 10 09:00:00: INFO: mac = 00:17:42:00:00:00 Nov 10 09:00:00: INFO: frontend = Montage DS3103/TS2022 Nov 10 09:00:00: INFO: type = S
Nov 10 09:00:00: WARNING: adapter = 2, device = 0 Nov 10 09:00:00: WARNING: adapter in use Nov 10 09:00:00: WARNING: mac = 00:17:42:54:09:52 Nov 10 09:00:00: WARNING: frontend = Montage DS3103/TS2022 Nov 10 09:00:00: WARNING: type = S
Error, possibly a hardware issue, or you need to reinstall the drivers:
Nov 10 09:00:00: ERROR: adapter = 1, device = 0 Nov 10 09:00:00: ERROR: failed to open [Bad file descriptor]
To determine which process the adapter uses, use the following command:
lsof | grep adapterX | head -n1 - where X is the adapter number.
Address already in use
The error occurs when trying to use a TCP port occupied by another process. To view the list of open ports, use the command:
Resource temporarily unavailable
The network adapter cannot cope with the amount of data coming from the process. Main reason:
- To check the settings of the network buffer
- Check the operation mode of the network adapter. ethtool eth* or mii-tool eth* commands. The speed must match the type of adapter 1Gbit, 10Gbit
- The network adapter must be Intel or Broadcom
- Check the settings of the DVB adapters and channels. If the properties of the DVB adapter is specified, budget=true, and in the properties of the channel do not specify a channel number (pnr) will be transferred to the entire transponder
ls an error in the header of the packet with video or audio. Main reasons:
- Wrong descrambling key
- In case of receiving the stream from the DVB adapter need to check signal quality:
astra –femon -a ADAPTER
The CC-Error incrementing with each discontinuity of the continuity counter.
MPEG-TS stream being split to the packets MPEG-TS stream splitted into the packets. Each packet has a continuity counter field with value in range 0-15. The continuity counter value incrementing with each packet and wraps to 0 after its maximum value. The CC-Error incrementing with each discontinuity of the continuity counter. Possible causes:
- Data loss on receiving with UDP/RTP. In the Linux could be checked with the
netstat -sucommand. If the value of the packet receive errors change, need to check networking buffer size. If possible, make a diagnosis on the transmission server
- Weak DVB signal or errors in the signal. Need to check signal level and errors:
astra –femon -a ADAPTER
- Duplicating a stream on transmission over UDP. Few streams have identical multicast group and port number
Channel has no active inputs
The error occurs if the channel does not have available sources for switching. In the channel settings (Single program Stream) you can specify multiple sources (Input) for reservation. Sources work in order, in case of failure of the first source, there is a switch to the second and so on. The error occurs if the channel does not have available sources for switching.
The cause of the source failure can be determined from other messages in the log, or you can check the incoming flow by using the flow analyzer: astra –analyze ADDRESS.
ECM Not Found
Not found a key for software decryption of the stream. Possible cause:
- No subscription or the subscription has ended on this channel
- The package ID for the key packages is incorrect. When you run the channel identifier of the packet (PID) is displayed in the message
Select ECM pid:*. You can manually select the package ID by using the ecm_pid or cas_data parameters.
ecm_pid— sets the ID of the packet. Available identifiers are displayed in the log, message
Skip ECM pid:*.
cas_data— dependent on a conditional access system
- Limiting the number of requests a server of a conditional access or a SIM card
Both keys changed
- Violation of the sequence of program decryption keys. Typically appears after the ECM Not Found message.
The keys to decrypt the stream are passed in pairs - current and next.
After changing the encryption key to the next, a new pair comes. Example: